Communications and Engagement Officer
About Watford Borough Council
Watford is an urban borough in South West Hertfordshire; The borough has excellent transport links with mainline rail connections to London. Watford is the centre of a sub region serving around 500,000 people living within a 20 minute travelling time catchment. As part of the London commuter belt Watford is strongly influenced by London which brings the benefits of a buoyant economy.
At a glance
• £1.4bn local investment happening – mix of public and private funding
• 5 major development and regeneration projects happening
• 3500 registered businesses
• Higher than average working age population
• Skilled workforce
• Affordable local housing market
• Home to many major international head offices
We are looking for an Communications and Engagement Officer to join our team. The post holder will be a key member of the Communications and Engagement team, working across the full breadth of communications activities and channels and providing support for the council’s consultation and engagement activities.
The role contributes to enhancing the council’s reputation through supporting effective communication and engagement with residents and other stakeholders (both internal and external).
As an Communications and Engagement Officer you will:
• Develop effective and comprehensive communication plans, working closely with the relevant service areas and external organisations as relevant on campaigns
• Provide creative challenge and ideas to campaigns, looking at best practice from both the private and public sector for ideas and inspiration
• Lead the delivery and development of the council’s social media platforms, taking responsibility for content that is engaging and for building the number and depth of the council’s social media followers
• Monitor and track the council’s social media activity to enhance and protect the council’s reputation and to spot opportunities for increased engagement
• Respond to media and social media enquiries to ensure the council is fairly represented
To be successful in this role you will need:
• A Level standard or equivalent education or relevant experience
• PR, communications, marketing or journalism qualification or relevant experience
• Excellent communication skills across the full range of communication channels, recognising the different voices and approach required in each
• Ability to develop communication campaigns
• Advanced knowledge and experience of all digital / social media channels (Facebook / Twitter / Instagram etc)
- Salary of £29,570 - £33,132
- Local government pension scheme
- Fantastic discounts including reduced gym membership and retail savings across the district
- Work with senior town officials, including the Mayor
- Staff and their families have access to a free, confidential advice and counselling staff 24/7
- 28 days’ holiday rising with service, in addition to Bank Holidays.
Closing Date: 29 October 2021
For an informal discussion please contact Marie Power on 01923 278252
A basic DBS check will be carried out for this post.