Head of Communications and Engagement (Maternity Cover)
Head of Communications and Engagement (Maternity Cover Contract)
Town Hall, Watford
Are you seeking your next challenge as a Head of Communications and Engagement? Want to increase your public sector experience and make an outstanding contribution to the success of a long-established organisation? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
We are Watford Borough Council, an ambitious and bold local authority, dedicated to making our borough a great place to live, work and visit.
We’re now looking for an experienced Head of Communications and Engagement to join our friendly and high performing team for a 14 month contract. The role is part of a three day a week job share, starting November 2021.
- Salary of £50,000 per annum (pro rata)
- Local government pension scheme
- Fantastic discounts including reduced gym membership and retail savings across the district
- Work with senior town officials, including the Mayor
- Staff and their families have access to a free, confidential advice and counselling staff 24/7
- 28 days’ holiday (pro rata) rising with service, in addition to Bank Holidays
This is an amazing opportunity to consolidate your skill set and help to shape the image and voice of an organisation that has a real impact on people who live, work and visit Watford.
During your contract, you will have the chance to lead some high-profile campaigns, as well as internal transformation projects that will have a lasting impact on the Council. Added to that, you will have the opportunity to work closely with a directly elected Mayor. So, if you’re looking to take on an exciting position where you can make a real difference in a short space of time, this is the role for you.
As the Head of Communications and Engagement, you will help to enhance Watford Borough Council’s reputation and change the way we communicate and engage with residents and stakeholders.
Your duties will involve:
- Using innovative techniques to inform, consult and create dialogue with stakeholders
- Developing publicity campaigns and communication strategies
- Advising and supporting the Elected Mayor, elected members, Managing Director, Leadership Team and other senior stakeholders
- Effectively reacting to issues that may negatively impact the organisation
- Using data to inform campaigns
- Helping to manage contracts
To join us as Head of Communications and Engagement, you’ll need:
- Previous PR and communications experience at a high level in a high pressure, team environment
- Experience of leading effective communications or related teams
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A deadline-oriented approach
Public sector experience, ideally within local government, would be highly desirable.
We’d like to hear from you if you’ve worked at a senior management level in any of the following disciplines: Communications, Public Relations, Marketing & Communications or if you have worked as a Journalist or Editor.
Closing date: 24th October 2021
A basic DBS check will be carried out for this post.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.