Senior Democratic Services Officer
Senior Democratic Services Officer
About Watford Borough Council
Watford is an urban borough in South West Hertfordshire; the borough has excellent transport links with mainline rail connections to London. Watford is the centre of a sub region serving around 500,000 people living within a 20 minute travelling time catchment. As part of the London commuter belt, Watford is strongly influenced by London which brings the benefits of a buoyant economy.
We’re now looking for a Senior Democratic Services Officer to join our team at the Town Hall in Watford.
- Salary of £32,903 - £36,808
- £1,500 anti-social hours supplement
- Pension scheme with generous employer contribution
- Flexible working
- Career development opportunities
- Season ticket loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted leisure centre membership
- Employee volunteering schemes
- Access to a branded shopping discounts platform and discounted activities and days out
- 28 days’ holiday (rising to 33 with service)
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual with experience in local government committee administration and scrutiny to advance their career and take their next step with our local-thinking organisation.
Playing a key role in democratic governance, you’ll have the chance to make a real difference to vital processes within local government and have a positive impact in Watford.
We strive to be an employer of choice and are proud of our high staff satisfaction and motivation levels.
In Watford, we have an unprecedented opportunity to shape the town in a way that benefits our community for decades to come. We plan to create a bold and progressive future for our town. If you share our ambition and are eager to make your mark, we would love to hear from you.
As the Senior Democratic Service Officer, you will work at the heart of the Watford democratic process, supporting decision making and governance arrangements.
Working closely with Councillors and the Directly Elected Mayor, you will provide an effective and efficient committee administration service and will lead the delivery of our scrutiny function.
Your role will also involve:
- Carrying out high quality reviews and investigations with the Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Providing advice on local government legislation and our constitution
- Supporting council meetings (out-of-hours)
- Supporting the Directly Elected Mayor and senior council figures
- Playing a key role in supporting the running and day-to-day operations of the Democratic Services Team
To be considered as the Senior Democratic Services Officer, you will need:
- Experience in local government committee administration
- Experience in scrutiny of local government
- Experience in carrying out research, analysing and presenting information
- The ability to write clear and concise minutes to a good standard of English
- The ability to work to tight and sometimes conflicting deadlines
- Excellent IT skills and preferably experience with the modern .gov committee software
The closing date for applications is the 23rd October 2019.
Webrecruit and Watford Borough Council are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you are ready for an incredible role as a Senior Democratic Services Officer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.