Programme Manager - The Town Hall Quarter: Vibrant, Inspiring, Creative and Collaborative
Having recently launched our bold and ambitious Council Plan 2020-24, Watford Borough Council are looking for an experienced Programme Manager to lead our exciting, new Town Hall Quarter programme. This is an opportunity to join the Council on a permanent basis. Immediate start preferred however, the successful candidate must be able to commence employment by May/June 2021.
Through this significant transformation programme the Council is seeking to:
- Create a vibrant and attractive new neighbourhood with well-designed homes, new work opportunities and welcoming public spaces for people to meet, spend time and relax, improving the linkage between the area and the rest of the town
- Rejuvenate two of the town’s most important heritage buildings – the Town Hall and Watford Colosseum, securing the long-term future of these landmark buildings and exploring ways they can make a greater contribution to the town’s cultural and economic life
- Explore the development of a new innovation and incubation hub, which would enhance the town’s offer for business, providing inspiring, productive and connected working space and investment in kit for businesses, all to accelerate business growth, collaboration, learning and wellbeing
- Review and renew the town’s Museum and Heritage service, learning from the best, to secure an exciting, inventive and accessible offer for Watford that celebrates the town’s diverse history, bringing it to life for the community and visitors and exploring a new base for the service within this revitalised quarter
- Enhance the town’s reputation as a regional centre for culture and the arts, making more creative uses of Watford Colosseum, so it provides a catalyst for a range of entertainment encouraging a varied programme mix from professional performances to community and up and coming artists
- Reflect the Council’s drive to be commercially focused, generating positive returns on our investment and making better use of the land and buildings we own
- Transform how the Council works as an organisation, including its office accommodation, so we are an outstanding and inspirational workplace that sets the standard as an enterprising, forward looking and supportive working environment and which our community recognises for excellent services and customer experience
As such, you will be used to working at a senior level managing complex programmes covering a range of disciplines from internal transformation and culture change to public realm regeneration and complex capital programmes. Working closely with the Managing Director as the programme’s Senior Responsible Officer and as part of a multi-disciplined team, you will be an MSP Practitioner who has the ability to provide simultaneous oversight to a range of diverse and high profile internal and external projects. As a proficient developer of programme plans and critical path networks, you will understand the need for robust dependency management and will be able to both produce and support others to produce realistic and achievable programme and project plans.
What we are looking for:
We are looking for an experienced and politically astute individual who thrives on working in a fast-paced environment at the very centre of an ambitious and forward looking organisation. Watford is a council that thinks big and we need experienced professionals who will be integral to us delivering our ambition to provide the very best for the residents and businesses of our town. As a member of the Enterprise Programme Management Office, you will have the opportunity to influence the council's long term approach to programme and project management, will be instrumental in ensuring that these principles are embedded across the organisation and will be responsible for ensuring that the programme delivers the council’s commercial, social and regeneration objectives
About Watford Borough Council
Watford is an urban borough in South West Hertfordshire; The borough has excellent transport links with mainline rail connections to London. Watford is the centre of a sub region serving around 500,000 people living within a 20 minute travelling time catchment. As part of the London commuter belt, Watford is strongly influenced by London which brings the benefits of a buoyant economy.
At a glance
- £1.4bn local investment happening – mix of public and private funding
- 5 major development and regeneration projects happening
- 3500 registered businesses
- Higher than average working age population
- Skilled workforce
- Affordable local housing market
- Home to many major international head offices
- Salary range £47,851 - £51,913 plus Local Allowance of £898 and £5,000 Market Factor Supplement
- 28 days’ holiday rising with service, in addition to Bank Holidays
- Local government pension scheme
- Fantastic discounts including reduced gym membership and retail savings across various well-known brands
- Flexible working options
- Staff and their families have access to free, confidential advice and counselling staff 24/7
- We’ll offer you an interest free loan, so you can buy a season ticket for the bus, train or tube, or if you want to buy a bike
For an informal discussion about the role and this ambitious programme for the future, please contact Liam Hornsby, Head of Enterprise Programme Management Office.
Closing date: 23:59 on 13th March 2021
A basic DBS check will be carried out for this post.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Enterprise Programme Manager, Programme Delivery Manager, Programme Lead, or Programme Senior.